Hello Friends! Today we are going to discuss the Best lighting for making videos. For a cinematographer, lighting is one of the main tools to make the video more impressive.
Video lighting can affect your video in different ways. If on one hand, it can make your video better so it can also break your video.
There are so many factors that can affect your video but the lighting kit is the most famous one. One question that I keep on seeing on the internet is What do Youtubers use for lighting?
So, if you have a good lighting kit it would make a huge difference in your video.
Lighting kits do not come cheap due to a lot of features they provide but in recent years this has changed after the arrival of DSLRs.
Best Lighting for Making Videos
People are choosing filmmaking as their career option more than ever before which results in the demand for lighting kits. These are lighting kits available for different types of moods and weather.
So, how to select the best for you among so many lightings. This article will walk you through the proper explanation of lighting kits.
The most common question searched on the internet is how to get the best lighting for making youtube videos? Well, the answer is very straightforward. You just need proper information.
There are so many types of Lighting in this article like Two or Three-Point Lighting, Natural Outdoor Lighting, Video lighting on a budget, Video lighting kits for mid-range budgets, and Video Lighting Kits For High Budgets.
Two or Three-Point Lighting
It is accomplished using three lights, as the name suggests. It is the most basic lighting for filming. It includes three lights:
1. Key Light – It is the most basic lighting which provides most of the light on the object directly. It is placed in front of the object around 45 degrees above and 45 degrees to the right or left.
2. Fill Light – This is a softer light and it is used to fill in shadows on the subject’s face. It has to be kept on the side, opposite the key light. The intensity of the fill light is approximately half the backlight
3. Backlight – The backlight commonly called a rim light creates depth and provides a soft glow in the background. It has to be placed both, above and behind the subject.
Natural Outdoor Lighting
If you’re not shooting indoors and in a space with very large windows. There are some drawbacks if you rely on natural light. The sun can be too intense that will show harsh shadows.
But, if you have proper care, planning, and adjustments, you can use natural light for your videos in a very beautiful way.
Video lighting on a budget
For basic YouTube video lighting or other vlogging videos, these under-$100 kits are perfectly effective. Mostly include CFL bulbs, which provide a soft, cool light.
Fancierstudio’s three-point lighting kit is good. It includes translucent umbrellas to help diffuse the light, plus stands, CFL bulbs.
LimoStudio’s Continuous Lighting Kit has three lights, stands, CFL bulbs, umbrellas, and more.
Newser’s Studio Lighting Kit includes two dimmable 160-LED light panels with stands, filters, and batteries. This is an energy-efficient, lightweight option that, like CFLs, provides soft lighting.
Fancierstudio’s three-point lighting kit
- Professional quality: 15 x 45 Watt Compact Fluorescent Perfect Daylight Balance Light Bulb (equals 3000 watts)
- Lighting kit includes: Three 20″ x 28″ Professional Quality Softbox and Photography Lights
- Softbox and three High Quality 7′ Lighting Stand, 15 x 45 Watt Compact Fluorescent Perfect Daylight Balance Light Bulb (equals 3000 watt)
- Studio Lighting with three Premium Quality Light Socket And Power Cords (Holds Up To 5 Light Bulb), Studio Lighting Kit includes free Deluxe Carrying Case Included Able To Fit the Whole Kit In One Bag
- CFL light bulbs rated for 120v for USA standard. Please make sure before buying if your country uses 220v please do not use these bulbs they will pop or blow.
A lighting kit with barn doors that will provide your more control in directing light towards the subject like this LED set from Limostudio.
Which is a good option that will always allow you to focus on your light and create more lighting effects and dramatic according to your scenes.
Video lighting kits for mid-range budgets
If your budget is little larger, there are some lighting kit from $100-$500 kits which offer more features, durability, and control for lighting your videos.
StudioFX’s kit is a good choice, with three lights, adjustable stands with boom arm, fluorescent daylight bulbs, and a carrying bag. It consists of a three-point softbox setup.
A favorite light for Tik Tokers and makeup vloggers, Rings, or Diva lights create an amazing shot. This kit from Stellar pairs an 18 ring light consists of two linear light panels which are used for a lighting setup and that will make anyone look like a supermodel.
- 3 x Lightstand 7′ tall (One Boom Arm with Sandbag)
- 3 x 16″X24″ Softbox
- 3 x Light head able to hold 4 light bulbs each
- 5500k Daylight Balance Bulbs, 12 x 45 watt photo video flourescent bulbs
- The lightweight design means that you can carry everything with ease, including the free carrying case which keeps your kit safe from harm!
These lightings are used by fashion content creators or makeup artists for better photography as well as better looks.
A higher-end LED panel option, is a kit from GVM which includes three LED panels and diffuser filters with stands.
The panel option in this high-end LED panel is dimmable and the color temperature can be adjusted according to your requirement cooler or warmer.
Video Lighting Kits For High Budgets
But if you’re after an all-in-one kit, there are several high-end options out there.
Then there is a kit from Arri that includes three 650-watt Tungsten lights, colored filters, and barn doors to control and diffuse light output, a wheeled case, stands, and more.
Remember one thing it doesn’t matter what kind of videos you’re making, but good lighting is very essential.
The basics of lighting a scene and acquiring a set of lights the difference are between a video that looks unprofessional and one that looks polished and professional.
Aputure Amaran 1H672S + 2H672W LED Video Light Set is available on Amazon. The package dimensions are 16 X 10 X 8 inches, approximate weight would be 17.36 pounds.
Aputure HR672KIT (HR672S + HR672W*2) 672 Led Video Light Panel Kit
- The CRI of the HR672KIT is 95+, making it an accurate and pure light source.
- KIT is only 32mm in thickness and about the same size as an iPad, making it a portable and durable light source.
- 100M wireless groups control, allowing you to adjust the brightness and color temperature of the light wirelessly.
- The kit is perfect for color-critical applications such as fashion, documentary, and short films.
According to the reviews provided by customers, these lights provide great color, seem to be about 400w. The plastic filter is off. They make great to carry around.
So, remember no matter what kind of videos you’re making, having good lighting is very essential. If you have great lightings in your videos, your videos would look more attractive and therefore people will like your content and will wish to see more.
We have provided a list of lightings in this article, you’ll have to select according to your choice and your budget. The article has information about mostly all the lighting from cheap to high budget.
To be a good YouTuber you should have proper lighting. Having a backlight adds depth to your background but obviously, that is not necessary.
Which light is best for making videos?
Best lighting for video making includes LED panels and diffuser filters with stands.
What color lighting is best for videos?
Best color lighting for videos is dimmable. use warm tungsten lights or cool daylight lights and the color temperature can be adjusted according to your requirement cooler or warmer.
What lights are used for videography?
Best lights for videography are LED panels, fresnel lights, soft boxes, ring lights, and HMIs
What is the best lighting for Youtubers?
Best lighting for Youtubers is Softbox Lights, LED On-Camera Lights, Ring Lights, and Umbrella Lights.
I hope you have enjoyed this article named Best Lighting for Making Videos. If you really like this article you can share it with your friends and relatives.